Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Brussels sprouts top the charts for soluble fiber, with 2 grams per 1/2-cup serving. We’ve paired them with omega-3-rich walnuts and walnut oil, then thrown in some dried cranberries for extra tangy flavor and antioxidant flavonoids.
1. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add walnuts, and toast 3 to 4 minutes, or until fragrant. Transfer to plate, and set aside.
2. Wipe out skillet, and return to heat. Add olive oil, and swirl skillet to coat bottom. Add Brussels sprouts, and cook 5 minutes, or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add shallots and garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
3. Stir in cranberries, agave, and 1 cup water. Partially cover pot, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 to 7 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated and Brussels sprouts are just tender, but not soft. Transfer to serving bowl. Stir in walnut oil and toasted walnuts, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories 172
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 124 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g