This hearty, dark-brown waffle, soaked with tangy syrup, is perfect fare for a wintry morning.
1. Preheat oven to 200°F. Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat.
2. In large bowl, whisk together buckwheat flour, all-purpose flour, cinnamon, baking soda and 1/4 tsp. salt.
3. In medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, brown sugar, oil and egg yolk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, whisking just until combined.
4. In small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
5. Ladle 2/3 cup batter (or amount recommended by manufacturer?s directions for your waffle iron) into waffle iron. Close lid and cook until waffles are golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Gently open lid and remove waffle with fork. Serve immediately or transfer to baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with cooking spray each time.
6. While waffles cook, in small saucepan, combine maple syrup, cranberry juice concentrate and dried cranberries. Bring to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat to low, and simmer until berries are plumped, about 3 minutes (syrup will be thin). Serve warm syrup over waffles.
- Calories 201
- Carbohydrate Content 42 g
- Cholesterol Content 19 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 130 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g