Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
The first fresh asparagus of the season is the star ingredient in this simple side dish.
1. Place bulgur and salt in bowl, and pour 4 cups boiling water over top. Cover, and let steep 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Cool.
2. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus, return pot to a rolling boil, and cook 1 minute. Drain asparagus, and dunk in large bowl of ice water. Drain, pat dry, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
3. Stir asparagus, almonds, oil, and zest into bulgur, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Stir in lemon juice.
- Calories 232
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 50 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g