Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Gougères are French cheese puffs traditionally served at wine tastings in the Burgundy region. They can be made ahead and warmed just before serving.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
2. Bring 1 cup water, butter, salt, and cayenne pepper to a boil in saucepan. Remove from heat, and stir in all flour at once, until mixture forms thick paste. Return to burner, reduce heat to low, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Transfer batter to mixing bowl. Beat in 1 egg until creamy and smooth. Repeat with second egg. Beat in 2 egg whites. Add remaining 2 egg whites, and beat until batter is smooth and glossy. Stir in cheese.
4. Drop tablespoonfuls of batter 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake 30 minutes, or until gougères are light brown and look dry and crispy.
- Calories 56
- Carbohydrate Content 4 g
- Cholesterol Content 25 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 86 mg
- Sugar Content 0.5 g