Gougères are French cheese puffs traditionally served at wine tastings in the Burgundy region. They can be made ahead and warmed just before serving.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
2. Bring 1 cup water, butter, salt, and cayenne pepper to a boil in saucepan. Remove from heat, and stir in all flour at once, until mixture forms thick paste. Return to burner, reduce heat to low, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Transfer batter to mixing bowl. Beat in 1 egg until creamy and smooth. Repeat with second egg. Beat in 2 egg whites. Add remaining 2 egg whites, and beat until batter is smooth and glossy. Stir in cheese.
4. Drop tablespoonfuls of batter 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake 30 minutes, or until gougères are light brown and look dry and crispy.
- Calories 56
- Carbohydrate Content 4 g
- Cholesterol Content 25 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 86 mg
- Sugar Content 0.5 g