Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Finely diced raw butternut squash is stirred into warm wild rice so that it cooks slightly but still stays firm. The resulting salad gets chilled, then topped with a roasted fruit and vegetable medley.
1. To make Salad: Bring broth and 1 cup water to a boil in medium saucepan. Stir in wild rice, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, 30 to 40 minutes, or until rice is tender. Drain, transfer to shallow dish, and stir in butternut squash and 1½ tsp. balsamic vinegar. Cool, then chill 1 hour, or overnight.
2. Whisk together maple syrup, mustard, oil, and remaining 1½ tsp. vinegar in bowl. Stir into rice mixture with raisins, 2 Tbs. chives, and shallot.
3. To make Roasted Fruit and Vegetables: Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss together butternut squash chunks, grapes, pearl onions, and oil on prepared baking sheet; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Roast 25 to 30 minutes, or until squash and onions are tender and brown. Serve Roasted Fruit and Vegetables over Salad, and garnish servings with remaining 2 Tbs. chives.
- Calories 395
- Carbohydrate Content 70 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 143 mg
- Sugar Content 25 g