Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Keith Medelis created this chipotle butternut squash enchilada recipe for Vegetarian Times in 2009. At the time, he was a theater student in Michigan, and loosely based this recipe on the flavors of a dish at Seva, his favorite vegetarian restaurant in Ann Arbor. For a vegan version, simply swap in dairy-free cheeses.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place squash cut-side down on baking sheet. Roast 45 minutes, or until soft. Cool until easy to handle. Scoop squash into bowl, and mash.
2. Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until soft. Add chipotle, adobo sauce, and garlic. Cook 1 minute, stirring often.
3. Stir in mashed squash, cream cheese, cumin, and nutmeg. Cook 3 minutes more, or until heated through. Remove from heat, and fold in green onions.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread 1 cup enchilada sauce over bottom of baking dish. Lay tortillas on baking sheet, and warm 3 minutes in oven to soften. Divide filling among tortillas, and roll loosely. Place filled, rolled tortillas in baking dish. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and Cheddar cheese. Bake 30 minutes, or until top begins to brown and sauce is bubbly.
- Calories 206
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 18 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 718 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g