The original Shaker recipe for this delectable dish calls for pureeing 4 tablespoons of butter with the squash. We’ve cut that to 1 tablespoon—it adds a mellow quality, but even it can easily be omitted.
- 1 1/2 lbs. butternut squash, seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 Tbs. packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. butter (optional)
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
In large saucepan, cover squash with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add cranberries. Cook until berries have popped and are soft, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well in colander.
Transfer squash and cranberries to food processor. Add sugar, butter if using and orange peel. Process to a smooth puree. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Calories: 97
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 9 mg