Wasabi gives a lively bite to this colorful salad. Either snow pea or sunflower sprouts (both available at well-stocked supermarkets) are equally good in this.
- 4 cups shredded napa cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 2 cups snow pea sprouts or sunflower sprouts
- 2 red radishes, halved and thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
- 2 medium-size oranges
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1 Tbs. Japanese soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. dark sesame oil
- 1 tsp. wasabi powder (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Combine cabbage, sprouts and radishes in large bowl. Remove peel and all white pith from oranges with sharp paring knife. Cut segments free from membranes, then cut segments crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces, and add to bowl.
To make Sesame-Wasabi Dressing: Whisk all ingredients in bowl; pour over salad, and mix to wilt sprouts. Let stand 10 minutes, tossing occasionally.
Meanwhile, toast sesame seeds in dry skillet over medium heat about 3 minutes, or until golden and fragrant. Sprinkle sesame seeds over salad; serve.
- Calories: 238
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 322 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g