Removing excess moisture from the vegetables and cheese before assembling helps hold this dish together.
- 12 large leaves savoy cabbage
- 3 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 3 small leeks, halved, white and light green parts cut into 1/2-inch-thick pieces (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 slices lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 15-oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 8 oz. low-fat ricotta cheese (1 cup), drained
- 3 Tbs. toasted pine nuts
1. Blanch cabbage leaves in large pot of boiling salted water 7 minutes, or until softened. Drain, pat dry, and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
3. Heat 1 1/2 tsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and broth. Season with salt, if desired; place lemon slices on top; and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 25 minutes. Drain in colander, remove lemon, pat leeks dry, and set aside.
4. Heat remaining 1 1/2 tsp. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, and cook 10 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated. Stir in parsley, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. Place 3 to 4 cabbage leaves on bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread 1/4 cup tomato sauce over leaves, top with one-third of leeks, dot with one-third of ricotta, and sprinkle with 1 Tbs. pine nuts. Repeat layering 2 more times, seasoning with salt and pepper between layers, if desired, and top with fourth layer of cabbage and sauce. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until strata begins to brown on top.
- Calories: 147
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Cholesterol Content: 12 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 597 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g