Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
According to Vietnamese tradition, a new bride’s cooking skills are measured by her ability to make this dish.
1. To make Stuffing: Mash together all ingredients in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and set aside.
2. To make Parcels: Bring 4 qt. water to a boil in large pot. Add shredded cabbage and Vegetarian Fish Sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 25 minutes.
3. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop in cabbage leaves to blanch 2 minutes, or until pliable. Remove from water, and drain. Blanch green halves of green onions 30 seconds. Remove from water with slotted spoon, and drain. Shred white parts of green onion into thin strands using sharp knife, then soak in cold water 10 minutes, or until they curl.
4. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and sauté 3 minutes, or until browned. Set aside.
5. Cut cabbage leaves into 12 6- x 4-inch pieces, reserving any leftover cabbage.
6. Set 1 cabbage piece on work surface. Place 2 Tbs. Stuffing in center. Fold sides of cabbage in over Stuffing, and roll up like a burrito. Set seam side down, and tie parcel with 1 blanched green onion length. Repeat to make 12 Parcels.
7. Bring cabbage broth to a boil in shallow pan. Add Parcels, mushrooms, carrot slices, and soy sauce. Simmer 6 to 8 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Divide Parcels and vegetables among bowls, and top each with broth. Garnish with cilantro and green onion curls.
- Calories 94
- Carbohydrate Content 9 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 183 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g