Literally “coffee from the pot,” this recipe offers a simple way to make coffee for a crowd, with a spiced twist that no one can resist.
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- 4 allspice berries
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar or 4 oz. piloncillo (Mexican raw sugar cones)
- 2 cups medium grind, dark roast coffee beans
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup coffee liqueur, such as Kahlúa, optional
1. Lightly crush cinnamon sticks, star anise, allspice, and cloves with mortar and pestle. Place in resealable plastic bag, and pound with rolling pin. Transfer to large saucepan, and add sugar and 8 cups water. Bring mixture to a boil, and simmer until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, add coffee, and let steep 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, warm milk in small saucepan, and whisk until frothy.
3. Strain coffee through fine sieve or coffee filter into pitcher. Stir in coffee liqueur (if using). Serve with frothed milk.
- Calories: 80
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Cholesterol Content: 3 mg
- Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 35 mg
- Sugar Content: 16 g