Under the spell of New Orleans’ romance, Jamie Ritchey created this recipe to replicate the tastes and smells of traditional Big Easy dishes using liquid smoke and chipotle Tabasco.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup crumbled chorizo-style soy sausage
- 2 slices veggie Canadian bacon, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small green pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 small red pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
- 1/2 cup crumbled soy sausage
- 3 tsp. liquid smoke, divided
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs. chipotle Tabasco
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add chorizo, bacon and red pepper flakes, and increase heat to medium high. Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add onion, peppers and garlic, and cook 5 minutes more.
Stir in sausage and 1 tsp. liquid smoke, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add rice and bay leaves. Stir in vegetable stock and remaining 2 tsp. liquid smoke, and bring to a simmer. Cover pan, and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 15 to 25 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove bay leaves.
Spoon into small bowls. Stir in Tabasco to taste (about 1 tsp. per serving).
- Calories: 313
- Carbohydrate Content: 47 g
- Fat Content: 9.5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 549 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g