Callaloo refers to amaranth, a leafy vegetable cooked the same way greens are cooked in the southern United States. For a similar taste and texture, we made the dish using a half-and-half mix of collard greens and spinach.
1. To make Callaloo: Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until beginning to brown.
2. Add collard greens, spinach, and garlic; cover, and increase heat to medium-high. Cook 7 to 10 minutes, stirring often with tongs, or until greens wilt. Add 2 cups water, and season with salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 45 minutes, or until greens are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
3. To make Hot Pepper Vinegar: Combine bell peppers and Scotch bonnet chile in 2-cup glass measuring cup. Stir together vinegar, sugar, and ½ cup water in small saucepan. Bring vinegar mixture to a boil, then pour over peppers. Cool.
4. To serve: top each serving of Callaloo with Hot Pepper Vinegar.
- Calories 97
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5.5 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 191 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g