Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
This roasted tomato and pepper pasta recipe comes from a collection of camp-out ready meals created by Holly Priestley. Holly knows a bit about eating well with minimal kitchen facilities: She’s been traveling the U.S. living the Van Life since 2018. Learn more about Holly and her journey here.
I love camping. I hate most ‘camping food.’ I’m sharing a few of my go-to recipes that show how a few ingredients can be made into a variety of different entrees over the course of an outdoor weekend with slightly different ratios and seasonings.
To enjoy this meal at your campsite or cabin, you’ll need to pack the following equipment (don’t worry, it’s a short list):
Medium or large pot or saucepan
Cast iron skillet
Roasted Tomato and Pepper Pasta with Lemon Butter Sauce
- Cook pasta in medium pot according to directions.
- Drain pasta and place in mixing bowl or return to pot. Add 1 Tbsp. butter, stir, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in your well-loved cast iron on medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and pepper.
- Sear tomato and pepper until slightly blackened.
- Mix tomato and pepper with pasta, add lemon pepper seasoning.
- Add salt if needed. Enjoy.
Cook’s Note: To mix it up, you could add different herbs – basil, oregano, parsley, etc – or different veggies like broccoli or asparagus.