The secret when making the glaze is to keep a close eye on the thermometer so that the sugar reaches the hard-crack-stage temperature of 290° to 300°F.
Excerpted with permission from Vegan Desserts: Sumptuous Sweets for Every Season, by Hannah Kaminsky. Copyright 2015, Skyhorse Publishing, Inc.
- 24 cookiesServings
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup apple juice or apple cider
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1. To make Cookies: Cream sugar and margarine in bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Beat in applesauce, apple juice, and vanilla extract.
2. Sift in flour, baking powder, and salt in three additions, and beat until blended. Shape dough into disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour, or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F, and line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
4. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness on lightly floured work surface. Cut out apple shapes with cookie cutter. Transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets, and insert lollipop stick where stem would be. Bake 6 to 12 minutes (depending
on cookie cutter size), or until cookies begin to brown on edges. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
5. To make Glaze: Whisk together sugar, pomegranate juice, corn syrup, and cinnamon in medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer 4 to 5 minutes, or until syrup reaches 290°–300°F on candy thermometer.
6. Dip both sides of Cookies in hot Glaze, making sure Cookies are completely covered. Place on clean sheet of parchment paper or silicone baking mat to cool. Let harden completely before removing.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 205
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 128 mg
- Sugar Content: 25 g