This combination was a hit with the VT staff. A tablespoon of olive oil enhances the spicy-sweet flavor, but leave it out if you prefer a fat-free sorbet.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 cups cantaloupe cubes (1 medium cantaloupe)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
1. Stir together sugar and 3/4 cup water in saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat, and cool.
2. Purée cantaloupe cubes in food processor until smooth and no small pieces remain. Add sugar syrup, oil, salt, and pepper; pulse until combined.
3. Chill in refrigerator until cold, then churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Transfer to 1-quart container, and freeze.
- Calories: 115
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 86 mg
- Sugar Content: 25 g