Chinese long beans—18-inch green beans sold in Asian markets—stay crisp in stir-frys.
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. honey
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, sliced
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil, divided
- 12 oz. green beans, trimmed and halved (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 6 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms, quartered (about 2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 4 tsp.)
- 1 Tbs. fresh ginger, minced
- 4 green onions, sliced
Whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, sesame oil and red pepper flakes in bowl. Add tempeh and stir to coat. Marinate 30 minutes. Drain, reserving marinade. Whisk 1/4 cup water and cornstarch into marinade.
Heat 1 Tbs. vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tempeh and stir-fry 4 minutes, or until golden. Transfer tempeh to plate with slotted spoon.
Add remaining 1 Tbs. vegetable oil to skillet. Add green beans and bell pepper, and stir-fry 6 minutes. Add mushrooms, and stir-fry 3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, and stir-fry 30 seconds.
Add tempeh and marinade to skillet, and cook, 1 minute, stirring often, or until sauce thickens slightly. Sprinkle with green onions, and serve.
- Calories: 179
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Fat Content: 9.5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1.5 g
- Sodium Content: 374 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g