This very recipe was transported from southern Sicily to America in 1912 by Theresa Kempker'’s mother——and her daughter has been making it ever since she married in the late 1940s.
- 1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 medium-sized bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium-sized eggplant (about 1 lb.), cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 8 to 10 black olives, halved or quartered
- 2 Tbs. capers
- 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs. vinegar
Place all ingredients in order listed in deep saucepan, and cook over low heat about 30 minutes, taking care not to scorch ingredients.
Pour into sterilized jars, and store in refrigerator.
- Calories: 25
- Carbohydrate Content: 4 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 75 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g