Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Caponata is a Sicilian stew traditionally made with fried eggplant and served at room temperature. This version gets its rich taste from simmered vegetables. Serve it with garlic toast, brown rice or Hummus Cakes.
1. Place eggplant in colander, and sprinkle generously with salt. Let stand 10 minutes. Rinse under cold water, and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Heat oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeño, and sauté 10 minutes, or until onion is softened and translucent. Add eggplant and mushrooms, and sauté 10 minutes more, or until vegetables are tender.
3. Stir in tomatoes, 1 cup water, wine, capers and oregano. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 50 to 60 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Calories 82
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 1.5 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 483 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g