Caprese Eggs Benedict
Smoked mozzarella stands in for Canadian bacon, while a fresh tomato sauce takes the place of hollandaise sauce, in this lightened-up version of a brunch classic. If you’re making the recipe for dinner, all you need is a light salad to round out the meal.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- 6 ciabatta rolls, halved
- 12 slices smoked mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil, divided
- White distilled vinegar
- 12 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes, or until softened. Whisk in flour; cook 2 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, pulse tomatoes in food processor.
4. Add pulsed tomatoes and tomato paste to onions; sauté 1 minute. Whisk in broth and milk, and simmer 4 to 5 minutes, or until gravy is thickened. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Keep warm.
5. Brush remaining 2 Tbs. oil onto ciabatta halves. Place on baking sheet, and bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden. Top bread with mozzarella slices, and bake 5 minutes more, or until cheese has melted.
6. Combine spinach and ¼ cup chopped basil in a bowl; divide evenly among ciabatta toasts.
7. Heat water and vinegar (1 qt. water to 2 Tbs. vinegar) in saucepan until bubbles break just before hitting the surface (160–180°F). Poach the eggs in simmering water for 4 to 6 minutes, or until whites are firm but yolks aren’t set. Remove eggs with slotted spoon and transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Place 2 ciabatta halves on a plate. Top each half with 1 poached egg. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
8. Stir remaining ¼ cup basil into tomato sauce. Spoon sauce over eggs.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 567
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 401 mg
- Fat Content 28 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 29 g
- Saturated Fat Content 10 g
- Sodium Content 1114 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g