Green cabbage can be substituted for savoy cabbage in this hearty chowder.
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, divided
- 12 oz. savoy cabbage, cut into large dice (6 to 7 cups)
- 3 large onions, cut into large dice (1 1/2 lb.)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 2 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped, divided
- 3 cups Cheese Croutons (recipe, p. 61)
1. Combine apple cider, soy sauce, and vinegar in small bowl.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. olive oil and 1 Tbs. butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Add cabbage, and season with salt, if desired. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to shallow bowl.
3. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil and 1 Tbs. butter in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, and season with salt, if desired. Cover, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until onions are softened, stirring occasionally. Uncover, and cook 16 to 18 minutes, or until onions are golden brown. Add garlic, 1 1/2 Tbs. thyme, and apple cider mixture, stirring to scrape up browned bits on pan bottom. Bring to a simmer, and cook 1 minute. Add cabbage and 5 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and cook 15 minutes. Serve topped with Cheese Croutons and remaining 1 1/2 tsp. thyme.
- Calories: 334
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Cholesterol Content: 26 mg
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 215 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g