Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Green cabbage can be substituted for savoy cabbage in this hearty chowder.
1. Combine apple cider, soy sauce, and vinegar in small bowl.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. olive oil and 1 Tbs. butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Add cabbage, and season with salt, if desired. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to shallow bowl.
3. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil and 1 Tbs. butter in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, and season with salt, if desired. Cover, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until onions are softened, stirring occasionally. Uncover, and cook 16 to 18 minutes, or until onions are golden brown. Add garlic, 1 1/2 Tbs. thyme, and apple cider mixture, stirring to scrape up browned bits on pan bottom. Bring to a simmer, and cook 1 minute. Add cabbage and 5 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and cook 15 minutes. Serve topped with Cheese Croutons and remaining 1 1/2 tsp. thyme.
- Calories 334
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 26 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 215 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g