More nutty and savory than sweet, these cookies make a lovely pairing with a cup of tea. For dessert, serve them with vanilla ice cream or a fruity sorbet.
- 21/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup organic cane sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 large egg white, for brushing
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, coarsely chopped
1 | Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cardamom in medium bowl. Set aside.
2 | Cream butter and sugar in bowl with electric mixer 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and orange zest. Add flour mixture in two batches, beating on low speed just until combined.
3 | Shape dough into disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour, or until firm.
4 | Preheat oven to 375°F, and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
5 | Roll out half of dough to 1/4-inch thickness on floured work surface. Cut out cookies with 2-inch cookie cutter, and arrange about 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough. Brush cookies with egg white, then sprinkle with sugar. Place 1 large pinch of nuts in center of each cookie, and press lightly to adhere.
6 | Bake cookies 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges just start to brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Calories: 73
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Cholesterol Content: 14 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 43 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g