Carolina-Style Barbecue Seitan Sandwiches
A tangy mustard-based sauce distinguishes Carolina-style barbecue from its sweeter Kansas City cousin.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This recipe makes 2 cups of sauce, leaving plenty to serve on the side. For crunch in your sandwiches, buy coleslaw at the deli, or make Deep South Slaw.
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup no-salt-added ketchup, such as Heinz
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 3 Tbs. dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. molasses
- 2 tsp. Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 12 oz. seitan, cut into thin strips
- 4 hamburger-style buns
- 12 pickle chips, optional
- 1 cup prepared coleslaw, optional
1. Bring vinegar, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, molasses, hot sauce, black pepper, and salt to a simmer in saucepan over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes.
2. Transfer 1 cup sauce to bowl, and set aside. Add seitan to saucepan, and cook 10 minutes. Divide among buns. Serve with pickle chips, coleslaw, and extra sauce, if using.
- Serving Size 1 sandwich
- Calories 327
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 29 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 766 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g