This simple recipe is chef Michael Anthony’s go-to soup for out-of-town guests, because it satisfies their taste for the exotic when they visit New York City.
- 4 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, halved and diced (1 cup)
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, halved and thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 11/2 lb. carrots, sliced
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup minced radishes
1 | Heat 2 Tbs. oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, fennel, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, or until softened. Add carrots, and cook 5 minutes, lowering heat (if necessary) to prevent browning.
2 | Add broth (or water) and orange juice, and simmer soup 10 minutes, or until carrots are just tender. Add coconut milk, season with salt and pepper, if desired, and simmer 10 minutes more.
3 | Transfer soup to blender, and process until satiny smooth. Serve hot or cold, drizzled with remaining 2 Tbs. oil and sprinkled with radishes.
- Calories: 307
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Fat Content: 20 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 240 mg
- Sugar Content: 17 g