Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This winter stew is a great way to sneak sea vegetables into a recipe; the wakame gets mixed up in the kale, so picky eaters won’t even know it’s there. After soaking the wakame, taste a small piece; if it seems too salty, repeat the soaking process a second time.
1. Place wakame in small bowl, cover with cold water, and soak 15 minutes,or until soft. Drain, squeeze out liquid, and set aside.
2. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Add cannellini beans, lima beans, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
3. Transfer half of soup to food processor, and purée until smooth. Stir mixture into remaining soup in pot, and add kale. Cook 5 minutes more, or until kale is tender. Stir in oregano, nutmeg, cayenne, and drained wakame.
- Calories 177
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 452 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g