Mashed cauliflower is a delicious, low-starch alternative to mashed potatoes. Here, we’ve flavored it with tangy miso and fresh sage, but you could also season the mash with olive oil and your favorite herbs.
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 5 cups chopped cauliflower florets (1 lb.)
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 Tbs. white miso
- 1/8 tsp. ground sage
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned.
2. Add cauliflower, carrot, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 to 12 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender. Add 2 to 3 Tbs. water if pot becomes too dry before vegetables are cooked.
3. Drain off any liquid. Pour cauliflower mixture into food processor, add miso and sage, and purée 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories: 86
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 322 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g