Caramelized apples turn cauliflower soup into a sensational appetizer.
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (11/4 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 large head cauliflower, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick slices (6 cups)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into small pieces (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 Tbs. chopped parsley
1. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, sauté 5 to 7 minutes, then add garlic and coriander, and cook 1 minute. Add cauliflower, broth, and 11/2 cups water, and bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender. Cool.
2. Blend cooled soup in blender or with immersion blender until smooth, adding more water if soup is too thick. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Place apples in single layer in skillet, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until apples start to brown, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle sugar over apples, and cook 3 to 5 minutes more, or until sugar melts and starts to caramelize. Stir in curry powder, and sauté 30 seconds. Transfer apples to large plate, spreading apart to keep from sticking together when sugar hardens.
4. To serve: ladle warm soup into bowls, and top with caramelized apples, hazelnuts, and parsley.
- Calories: 157
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 96 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g