Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Toasted hazelnuts, caramelized apples, and fresh parsley dress up this cozy curried potage, which gets its thickness from puréed cauliflower.
There is no need for a roux or other flour-based thickener to make this velvety cauliflower potage. A simple purée of the featured vegetable provides plenty of body.
Prepare the Soup (through Step 2) one or two days ahead. Caramelize the apples and chop the nuts in the morning or before guests arrive.
- Heat 2 Tbs. oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, sauté 5 to 7 minutes, then add garlic and coriander, and cook 1 minute. Add cauliflower, broth, and 11/2 cups water, and bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender. Cool.
- Blend cooled soup in blender or with immersion blender until smooth, adding more water if soup is too thick. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Place apples in single layer in skillet, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until apples start to brown, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle sugar over apples, and cook 3 to 5 minutes more, or until sugar melts and starts to caramelize. Stir in curry powder, and sauté 30 seconds. Transfer apples to large plate, spreading apart to keep from sticking together when sugar hardens.
- To serve: ladle warm soup into bowls, and top with caramelized apples, hazelnuts, and parsley.
- Calories 157
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 96 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g