Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
The filling for this pie is thickened with Irish moss, a powdered seaweed that can be found online or in the bulk spice section of natural-food stores. To veganize the recipe, substitute 2 cups almond milk plus 1/2 cup sugar for the sweetened condensed milk.
1. Bake piecrust according to package directions. Cool.
2. Combine condensed milk with 3/4 cup water in saucepan. Add loose tea to milk mixture. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Remove from heat, and steep 5 minutes. Strain, and discard tea solids.
3. Dissolve Irish moss powder in 2 Tbs. water in bowl. Whisk in milk. Return mixture to saucepan, whisk in pumpkin, and bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Cook 1 minute, or until thickened. Press mixture through strainer if any lumps remain. Spread hot filling in piecrust. Cool, then chill before serving.
- Calories 268
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 6 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 154 mg
- Sugar Content 33 g