Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Tossing in a few chunky pieces of potato gives this soup a hearty feel. You can easily substitute your favorite greens for the chard.
1. Smash 3/4 cup beans in bowl with back of fork to form paste; set aside.
2. Heat oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bell pepper and onion, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook 5 minutes, or until softened. Add potatoes, and cook 10 minutes, or until tender. Stir in garlic, and cook 2 minutes more.
3. Add broth, 1 cup water, smashed and whole beans, and nutmeg to pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 12 to 15 minutes. Add chard, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Simmer 5 minutes, or until chard is wilted.
- Calories 288
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 15 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 392 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g