Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Charred eggplant, roasted red pepper, olives, and capers join forces along with fresh herbs and seasoning to create this delicious salad. When cooked on the grill, the whole vegetable deflates, a sure sign that the flesh inside is soft and cooked through. The trick for removing the skin from the pepper and eggplant is to put them in a covered bowl or a rolled-up brown paper bag. The vegetables will steam, which helps to release the skin for easy peeling. You can char the eggplants, pepper, and garlic on the grill or under the broiler.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Charred Eggplant Salad
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Place garlic on top of a sheet of aluminum foil; wrap up in foil. Place garlic, eggplants, and bell pepper on grill. Grill, turning occasionally, until bell pepper and eggplant are tender, charred all over, and eggplant has deflated, about 15 minutes for bell pepper and 25 minutes for the eggplant and garlic. Alternatively, the vegetables may be cooked under the broiler.
- Place eggplant and bell pepper in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap, or transfer to a large paper bag, and roll up the top to seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Carefully peel charred skins; roughly chop flesh.
- Carefully open foil around garlic; squeeze cloves out of skins and into a medium bowl. Mash garlic into paste using a fork. Add eggplant, bell pepper, olives, olive oil, vinegar, capers, cilantro, mint, lime juice, and ground cumin. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Calories 130
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 190 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g