Charred Eggplant Salad
When cooked on the grill, the whole eggplant deflates, a sure sign that the flesh inside is soft and cooked through
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Charred eggplant, roasted red pepper, olives, and capers join forces along with fresh herbs and seasoning to create this delicious salad. When cooked on the grill, the whole vegetable deflates, a sure sign that the flesh inside is soft and cooked through. The trick for removing the skin from the pepper and eggplant is to put them in a covered bowl or a rolled-up brown paper bag. The vegetables will steam, which helps to release the skin for easy peeling. You can char the eggplants, pepper, and garlic on the grill or under the broiler.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Vishwesh Bhatt’s Gujarati-Style Charred Eggplant (Olo)
Charred Tomato, Pepper, and Onion Crostini
Sheet Pan Eggplant Parm Makes Life a Little Easier
Charred Eggplant Salad
- 1 head garlic,⅓ inch cut off top
- 8 Japanese eggplants (about 3 pounds)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs. capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
- 1 to 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. cumin seed, toasted and ground
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Place garlic on top of a sheet of aluminum foil; wrap up in foil. Place garlic, eggplants, and bell pepper on grill. Grill, turning occasionally, until bell pepper and eggplant are tender, charred all over, and eggplant has deflated, about 15 minutes for bell pepper and 25 minutes for the eggplant and garlic. Alternatively, the vegetables may be cooked under the broiler.
- Place eggplant and bell pepper in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap, or transfer to a large paper bag, and roll up the top to seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Carefully peel charred skins; roughly chop flesh.
- Carefully open foil around garlic; squeeze cloves out of skins and into a medium bowl. Mash garlic into paste using a fork. Add eggplant, bell pepper, olives, olive oil, vinegar, capers, cilantro, mint, lime juice, and ground cumin. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Calories 130
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 190 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g