This elegant side was designed for indoor cooking, but if you can char the vegetables and brown the bread on a grill, all the better.
- 3 small tomatoes, halved and seeded (2 cups)
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 medium or 2 small bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus extra for brushing bread slices
- 6 large slices ciabatta bread
- 6 Tbs. shredded basil leaves for garnish
Set oven racks to middle and lower positions. Preheat oven broiler to high. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Arrange tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, and garlic cloves on one prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 Tbs. olive oil, and toss to coat. Turn vegetables cut-side down, tucking garlic under tomatoes to prevent burning. Place on middle oven rack. Broil 8 to 10 minutes, or until tomato skins are charred, stirring once. Pulse vegetables in food processor until coarsely chopped.
Arrange bread slices on second parchment-lined baking sheet. Broil on lower rack 2 minutes, or until lightly golden. Flip bread and broil 2 minutes more.
Brush bread slices with olive oil. Spread each slice with ¼ cup tomato mixture, and sprinkle with 1 Tbs. basil.
- Serving Size: serves 6
- Calories: 218
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 246 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g