Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Take the pork out of a Texas classic and what do you get? A flavorful, protein-rich dish that’s great with vegetarian sausage. Chipotle-flavored sausage is in keeping with the recipe’s Tex-Mex roots, but it can be quite spicy. If you like less heat, try the recipe with a milder-flavored veg sausage.
1. Place beans in large bowl, and cover with cold water. Let soak 4 hours, or overnight.
2. Drain beans, and place in large saucepan with 6 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until tender but not soft. Do not drain.
3. Heat oil in separate large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and sausage, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and translucent. Add garlic and chili powder, and cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and beans (with cooking liquid); season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Uncover, and simmer 10 minutes more. Serve garnished with cilantro.
- Calories 400
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 15 g
- Protein Content 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 507 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g