Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Inspired by the Southwest, these wholesome and temperate waffles can turn fiery with plenty of hot pepper sauce and a salsa containing smoky chipotle chiles.
1. Preheat waffle iron and spray with nonstick vegetable spray.
2. Beat 3 eggs well in mixing bowl, and stir in buttermilk and oil. In separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and sugar. Stir into egg mixture, then stir in cornmeal, cheese, corn kernels and hot pepper sauce.
3. Bake waffles according to manufacturer’s instructions.
4. To make salsa, stir together olives, corn kernels, salsa and black beans in small saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, or until mixture reduces slightly.
5. To serve waffles, place one on plate, top with salsa mixture and garnish with cheese, fresh coriander and diced avocado.
Liven up this brunch dish with a fabulous sparkling wine from Albuquerque, New Mexico: Gruet Winery Méthode Champenoise Blanc de Blancs.
- Calories 570
- Carbohydrate Content 72 g
- Cholesterol Content 145 mg
- Fat Content 23 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 1490 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g