This version of Welsh rabbit is made hearty with hard-boiled eggs. It makes a great Sunday night supper, especially when the pantry is (almost) bare.
- 2 Tbs. nonhydrogenated soy margarine or unsalted butter
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 cups skim milk
- 3 oz. extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 3-4 drops vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 9 slices whole-grain bread, toasted and halved diagonally
1. Melt margarine in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, or until mixture is bubbly but not browned. Whisk in mustard, then milk. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking constantly.
2. Remove from heat, and whisk in cheese and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in chopped eggs, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Reheat over low heat if necessary.
3. Arrange 3 toast triangles on each plate, and top each triangle with 3⁄4 cup egg mixture. Sprinkle with paprika, and serve.
- Calories: 371
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 229 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 527 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g