Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
1. To make Mole Sauce: Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions, and cook 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until browned. Stir in garlic, chili powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, ancho chile powder, and ground cloves, and cook 1 minute, or until fragrant, stirring constantly.
2. Add tomatoes, cocoa, peanut butter, and 2 cups water. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. To make Enchiladas: Preheat oven to 350°F. Ladle ¾ cup Mole Sauce into bottoms of 2 12- x 8-inch ovenproof baking dishes. Place about 2½ Tbs. cheese in center of each tortilla. Roll tortilla around cheese, and set seam side down on top of Mole Sauce, placing 8 filled tortillas in each pan. Top each dish with 1¼ cups Mole Sauce, and sprinkle each with ⅓ cup cheese. Bake 20 minutes, or until sauce bubbles and cheese melts.
4. For serving, garnish with crema, sliced red onion, and crumbled queso fresco.
- Calories 462
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 22.5 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8.5 g
- Sodium Content 629 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g