Cheese, Mushroom, and Swiss Chard Torta
A torta is a free-form, double-crusted pie that requires no special pie dish. Serve with steamed carrots or roasted root vegetables. For more robust flavor, you can substitute kale or collard greens for the Swiss chard.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Wrap unbaked torta in plastic wrap, and store up to two days in the fridge or up to one month in the freezer. You can also bake the torta ahead and warm just before serving.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour or fine cornmeal
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. Swiss chard, ribs removed, thinly sliced into ribbons (10 cups)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 3/8-inch cubes (11/4 cups)
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 8 oz. mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 oz. Asiago cheese, cut into
- 1/4-inch cubes (3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- To make Crust: Place flours, oil, and salt in bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment. Slowly drizzle in 7 to 9 Tbs. ice water with machine running on medium-low speed. Mix 5 to 7 minutes, or until smooth, pliable dough forms. Divide into 2 balls, cover in plastic wrap, and let sit at room temperature 1 hour, or in refrigerator overnight.
- To make Filling: Toss chard with salt in bowl. Transfer to colander, and let stand 1 hour. Place on clean kitchen towel, roll up tightly, and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Transfer to large bowl.
- Combine potato and enough water to cover by 1 inch in small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes. Drain, and add to chard.
- Heat 2 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks, and cook
5 to 7 minutes, or until soft. Add mushrooms, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until most mushroom liquid has evaporated. Stir in garlic and nutmeg, and cook 1 minute more. Add leek mixture to bowl with chard, stir, and cool 20 minutes. Stir in eggs until well combined, then stir in Asiago and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 375°F, and line 12-inch round pizza pan with parchment paper. Roll 1 dough ball into 13-inch circle on floured work surface (don’t worry if dough resists a little). Let dough rest 10 minutes, then continue to roll and stretch (dough will be extremely thin). Gently roll dough circle onto rolling pin, then unroll onto parchment. Top dough with Filling, leaving 1-inch border. Roll out remaining dough round in same manner, and drape over Filling. Seal torta by crimping bottom dough over top layer or by rolling together in rope pattern. Drizzle remaining 1 Tbs. oil over top Crust, and rub in evenly with hands. Cut several vents in top Crust, and bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until bottom Crust is golden brown. Serve hot, at room temperature, or chilled.
- Calories 293
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 61 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 761 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g