If you can’t find flavored firm tofu (we used Nasoya brand), lightly sprinkle plain firm tofu with garlic powder and/or onion powder, salt and pepper. You can vary the veggies used in this recipe to match your kids’ preferences.
- 1 1/2 lbs. red new potatoes
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 12-oz. pkg. garlic-and-onion-flavored extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 3 small shallots, peeled and sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 cups fresh sugar snap peas, halved
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Put potatoes in large pot, cover with salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain, quarter, and set aside.
Heat 1 Tbs. oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu, reduce heat to medium and cook 8 minutes. Turn tofu with spatula, and add shallots. Cook 6 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute. Transfer to plate.
Add 1/3 cup water and carrots to hot pan, cover and cook 4 minutes. Add peas, cover and cook 2 minutes more. Stir in potatoes, tofu mixture, remaining 1 Tbs. oil and thyme, and cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until heated through. Transfer to serving bowl, and fold in cheese. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 312
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Cholesterol Content: 2 mg
- Fat Content: 10.5 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1.5 g
- Sodium Content: 663 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g