“I love to prepare as many fresh, vegan whole foods as possible, but sometimes I crave something sweet and creamy, so I always keep a stack of really good comfort food recipes, like French toast,” says Brooke Jones. This recipe is a variation on a go-to brunch dish she’s been making for years.
- 1/4 cup Eden Selected Montmorency Tart Dried Cherries*
- 1 Tbs. Now Real Food Certified Organic Vanilla Extract*
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. Florida Crystals Organic Blue Agave Nectar*, divided
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Cream Cheese*
- 1/4 cup Once Again Almond Butter*
- 1 cup Silk Pure Almond Vanilla Almond Milk*
- 1 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- 4 1/2-inch-thick slices artisanal-style or country French bread
Place cherries, vanilla, and 1 tsp. agave nectar in bowl; stir in 1 Tbs. warm water. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes, or until cherries have plumped. Strain, reserve liquid, and crush cherries into a paste with fork or mortar and pestle. Stir in cream cheese. Set aside.
Stir almond butter into reserved cherry soaking juice for drizzle. Set aside.
Whisk together almond milk, nutritional yeast, and remaining 1 Tbs. agave nectar in bowl.
Toast bread 1 to 2 minutes in toaster, or until dried, but not toasted. Spread cream cheese mixture on 2 bread slices. Top with remaining bread slices. Dip each sandwich into almond milk mixture 2 seconds; flip, and dip other side 2 seconds.
Coat skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Cook sandwiches in pan 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until light brown. Cut each sandwich in half, and serve drizzled with almond butter–cherry juice mixture.
- Calories: 374
- Carbohydrate Content: 44 g
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 417 mg
- Sugar Content: 19 g