Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
The puff pastry crusts of these tasty turnovers get a quick sugar glaze when they come out of the oven.
1. Place cherries and 1/4 cup water in medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and boil 5 minutes, or until juices begin to thicken, crushing cherries with fork to break up.
2. Combine 1 Tbs. sugar and cornstarch in bowl. Whisk in lemon juice and 2 tsp. water. Stir cornstarch mixture into cherries, and cook 1 minute, or until juice is thick. Remove from heat. Stir in almond extract (if using) and cinnamon. Cool.
3. Preheat oven to 400˚F. Roll out 1 puff pastry sheet to 12-inch square. Transfer to parchment paper, place on baking sheet, and chill 10 minutes. Repeat with second puff pastry sheet.
4. On floured work surface, cut each puff pastry sheet into 9 squares. Brush edges of squares with water, then spoon 1 Tbs. cherry mixture in center of each square. Gently fold dough from corner to corner to form triangular turnovers; press dampened edges together to seal. Place turnovers upside down on parchment-lined baking sheet, and return to refrigerator to chill 10 minutes.
5. Remove turnovers from refrigerator, and crimp edges with fork. Score tops with 3 small, shallow knife slashes. Bake 17 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
6. Meanwhile, combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute, then remove from heat.
7. Remove turnovers from oven, and immediately brush with sugar syrup. Cool 15 minutes before serving warm.
- Calories 155
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 133 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g