You can assemble the ingredients for this holiday stuffing up to two days ahead to save time (and stress!) on the big day. Look for peeled and roasted chestnuts in glass jars and foil packets.
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread bread cubes in roasting pan, and bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until toasted.
2. Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add soy sausage, and cook 5 minutes, or until browned. Toss sausage with bread cubes in bowl.
3. Heat oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 7 minutes more. Stir in apples, chestnuts, and sage. Cover, and cook 5 minutes, or until apples are crisp-tender. Add to bread mixture. Stuffing can be prepared up to this point, sealed in a food storage bag, and refrigerated up to 2 days.
4. Increase oven heat to 350°F. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Toss stuffing mixture with broth, and season with salt and pepper. Spoon into prepared baking dish. Cover with foil, and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 minutes more, or until top is browned and crisp.
- Calories 275
- Carbohydrate Content 42 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5.5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 600 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g