Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This old-fashioned recipe will impress holiday guests with its rich, nutty flavor and homey feel.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 4-qt. baking dish with cooking spray. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add soy sausage crumbles and sage, and cook 7 to 9 minutes, or until sausage is browned. Drain on paper-towel-lined plate.
2. Melt 3 Tbs. margarine in same skillet; add onions, celery, and fennel; cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and translucent. Deglaze pan with wine, and add chestnuts. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated.
3. Place bread cubes in large bowl. Stir in onion and fennel mixture, then soy sausage crumbles. Mix in fresh herbs, and season with pepper. Stir in broth, adding more if necessary without making stuffing too wet.
4. Spoon stuffing into prepared baking dish, and dot top with remaining 2 Tbs. margarine. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 30 to 40 minutes longer, or until top is browned and crisp.
- Calories 347
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10.5 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 531 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g