Vegetarians in the Windy City flock to the Chicago Diner for burgers that have a truly meaty taste. We added a step—baking them in the oven—and grilled them on foil so they would get a smoky taste without sticking to the grill. Serve with Red Pepper Aioli.
- 3 stalks celery, diced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 12 oz. mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1. Bring 4 cups water, celery, onion, soy sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper to a boil in pot over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in oats, mushrooms, and flour, and cook 5 minutes more. Transfer to bowl, and chill.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Shape mixture into 8 patties, and bake on prepared baking sheet 15 minutes. Flip, and bake 10 minutes more. Cool.
3. Heat grill to medium-high. Place foil on grill, and coat with cooking spray. Grill burgers on foil 7 minutes per side.
- Calories: 175
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 289 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g