Cumin and mint complement succulent eggplant and chickpeas in these stuffed pita pockets.
- 6 4-inch pita breads
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 lb. Japanese eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/4 cups chopped sweet onions, preferably Vidalia
- 1 15.5-oz. can chickpeas, drained, 1/2 cup liquid reserved
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh mint
Preheat oven to 350F.
Stack pitas in foil, and wrap. Bake until heated through, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and onions, and cook, stirring often, until softened and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add chickpeas, lemon juice and cumin, and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, or until heated through. If mixture seems dry, add enough chickpea liquid to moisten. Stir in mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Remove pitas from oven, and fill with eggplant mixture. Serve warm.
- Calories: 224
- Carbohydrate Content: 58 g
- Fat Content: 6.5 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 541 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g