Eat this salad the day it's made—otherwise, the spinach will wilt and turn soggy.
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced leek (white part only) or red onion
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 15-oz. can, rinsed and drained)
- 2 medium carrots, grated (1 cup)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, cut into 1/2-inch-thick ribbons
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained, optional
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Whisk together lemon juice and oil in bowl. Stir in leek, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Set aside.
2. Roll 7 or 8 spinach leaves into tight cylinder, then slice into thin strips. Repeat with remaining spinach leaves.
3. Combine spinach, chickpeas, carrots, bell pepper, and sunflower seeds in large bowl. Stir in leek mixture, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Divide romaine among 8 plates, top with chickpea salad, and arrange tomatoes around salad, if using. Garnish each serving with 1 Tbs. feta, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Calories: 175
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 190 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g