This Mediterranean-inspired burger can be served in a pita pocket or on a bun with tahini, chopped tomatoes and cucumbers, yogurt, shredded cabbage, tomatoes and sweet onion rings.
- 2 large egg whites or 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup or more sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup finely chopped white or cremini mushrooms
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas, drained and 1/2 cup liquid reserved
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
In medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add green onions and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
In food processor or blender, combine garlic, chickpeas and reserved chickpea liquid and process until smooth. Transfer to large bowl and combine with mushroom mixture. In food processor or blender, process sunflower seeds to make a coarse meal. Add to chickpea mixture along with curry powder; mix well. Stir in egg whites or bread crumbs (mixture will be soft).
On a large baking sheet, make 8 beds of sesame seeds for patties. Shape burger mixture into 8 patties and place on seeds. Flip to coat both sides generously.
Grill patties on a well-oiled vegetable grill or broil 4 inches from heat source, 3 to 4 minutes on each side until browned. Serve right away.
- Calories: 92
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 103 mg