These easy-to-make croquettes combine chickpeas with an authentic blend of Middle Eastern spices—sumac, cumin, and coriander. Serve the dish with the Cilantro-Yogurt Sauce for a fresh, bright contrast of flavors.
- 2 14-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (2 oz.), drained and finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. sumac, optional
- 1 Tbs. ground coriander
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. canola oil for frying
Pulse chickpeas, breadcrumbs, olive oil, tomatoes, sumac, if desired, coriander, cumin, and garlic in food processor until roughly puréed. Season with salt and pepper.
Roll mixture into walnut-size patties with your hands. (Mixture should make 18 medium-size croquettes or 24 smaller ones.) Dredge croquettes in flour, and shake off any excess.
Heat oil in skillet over medium-low heat, and add half of croquettes. Brown croquettes 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining croquettes.
- Calories: 372
- Carbohydrate Content: 47 g
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 542 mg