- To a large bowl, add chickpeas and enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Soak overnight and drain.
- Press Sauté on Instant Pot and set to More/High; heat 1 tbsp oil. Add half of onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 minutes. Stir in rice, cashews, apricots, garam masala, 1 tsp turmeric and ¼ tsp salt and sauté for 2 minutes. Scrape out rice mixture into a 7-inch round metal dish (about 3 inches tall). Add 1¼ cups hot water and cover tightly with foil. Set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to pot. Add remaining onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Stir in chile pepper, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, honey and remaining 2 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp salt; stir constantly until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, coconut milk and squash. Press Cancel.
- Place a trivet (with 2-inch legs) over chickpea mixture in pot. Place rice dish on top of trivet. Lock lid and set release valve to Seal. Press Pressure and set to More/High; adjust cooking time to 28 minutes.
- Let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes (don’t move the vent), then carefully set release valve to Venting. When metal pin in lid falls and all pressure is released, unlock lid. Using sturdy tongs or heat-resistant gloves, remove rice container from pot. Remove foil and fluff with fork; cover and set aside.
- To chickpea mixture, add kale; discard cinnamon stick. Press Sauté, set to More/High and simmer chickpeas until kale softens, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with cooked rice.
Related: High-Protein Foods to Add to Your Diet