Lemongrass brings out the flavors of tomatoes and herbs in a lightly cooked stew. Serve over whole grains.
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass
- 1 large tomato (1 lb.)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (1/2 tsp.)
- 3/4 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or cilantro
1. Tim and discard tough base and skinny top leaves of lemongrass stalks, then peel away tough outer layers. Crush inner white stems with mallet or rolling pin, then finely chop. (You should have 1 Tbs.) Transfer to small bowl, and cover with 1/4 cup boiling water. Set aside.
2. Halve tomato through middle, and scoop seeds into strainer set over bowl. Press juice from seeds, then discard seeds. Set juice aside, and dice tomato flesh. (You should have 2 cups.)
3. Heat oil in large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add squash, ginger, and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes without browning. Stir in chickpeas, corn, diced tomato, lemongrass with liquid, and tomato juice, and season with salt and pepper (if desired). Cover, increase heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes, or until tomatoes just begin to soften. Stir in basil.
- Calories: 108
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 83 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g